Fear foods. I’ve talked about them before, but I thought I would get a little more ‘fiery’ about the fear food topic since I know it’s something that so many of us have encountered in the recovery journey. Isn’t it amazing how God works? I posted the last ‘fear food’ post for a WIAW too. 🙂 Today, we are going to talk about how to smash the fear foods and enjoy them instead of letting them rule your life with an iron hand.
Fear Foods… I can think of many common fear foods.
Fear Foods List
1. Anything ‘fatty’ – Burgers, fries, milkshakes, fast food (in general)
2. Anything with lots of ‘sugar’ – ICECREAM, doughnuts, (brownies)
3. Anything that the diet industry has created a HUGE ‘no-no’ around: Fill in the blank: ______ (any processed food, soda, etc.)
Do any of these strike fear in your heart when you look at them? They used to strike fear in mine. I would go on sugar fasts, and I had a really hard time bringing myself to eat any fries or a burger because of the fear around them.
How does one smash these fear foods so you no longer over think each bite?
1) Stop thinking about the food as an enemy but as a gift. 🙂 What has really helped me is thanking the Lord for the food. A heart of gratefulness really does replace a heart of terror.
Think of the fear as something to smash, to crush, and replace with gratefulness for God’s goodness and kindness!
2) Eat with friends. Don’t eat by yourself. Immerse yourself in the fellowship of other people! God made man and woman at the beginning so they could be together. He said that it wasn’t good for the man to be alone, so it’s not good for us to be alone.
Being alone with Jesus and spending time in the Word is WONDERFUL, but being alone and spending time in my own head and thoughts and any of the lies that the devil wants to put into my head is no bueno.
3) If I am eating alone, I have to be making a conscious effort to really think on lovely things and let God’s Word abide in me, instead of my own wayward thoughts that tend to go off the edge so quickly.
Colossians 3:16 is a huge encouragement for me and a precious reminder that the comfort and the divine truth of my Heavenly Daddy’s Words will always keep me centered when my mind is tempted to be tossed about by lies.
‘Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.’
4) Enjoy the food! If you loved burgers when you were a child, before your ED, think about those experiences. Think about the joy of life, of living, of being alive because God has preserved your life. He’s given you another chance to live! Your life wasn’t just put here randomly.
You were made for a purpose, and it involves far more than fearing food. In fact it doesn’t involve fearing food.
We were made for God, and Jesus makes it possible to be gathered into the Father’s arms, to be forgiven of all our wrongs, and to be His child. And when your His child, the fear of the fry, the fear of the ice cream begins to melt away.
When you realize that God wants you to be thankful … instead of worried, the burden of having the:
slips away, and you’re left gazing at the perfection of Jesus, the righteousness of Jesus that covers you and makes you FREE.
Isaiah 61:10, ‘I will rejoice greatly in the LORD, My soul will exult in my God; For He has clothed me with garments of salvation, He has wrapped me with a robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.’
How am I doing on this fear food journey? I still deal with some anxiety when we go out to eat or when I don’t eat enough vegetables. Yet, the more I think about eating how God made my body, the more I think, ‘Wow, this is so simple. Why do I make it so complicated?’
Without further delay, I present to you a day of Em’s eats.
Did you enter my ‘Essentially Coconut butter‘ giveaway yet?
Lunch: Yes, I did put spaghetti sauce on salad along with an unpictured slice of Kat’s Sweet Potato Muffins (which I turned into bread)
(And I might eat some cereal later, but I don’t have to share a picture of that cause it’s not anything super beautiful to look at… It’s just YUMMY!)
And some soul FOOD to feast on as I end this post. 🙂
1 Peter 2: 6-10, ‘Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.‘
Jesus came to smash the enmity, the darkness in my heart, smash the fear foods in my life, and most of all give HOPE for eternity with God.
Isn’t He wonderful?
How are you going to smash a fear food or a fear that you are struggling with?
When a fear food confronts you what is a truth that comes to mind that you smash that fear with?
What comfort and consolation do you find in God’s Word to smash all terror and fear?