Today I’m going to share some of my favorite high calorie foods that were so perfect for me in recovery and restoring my body. Thank you Heather for providing the opportunity to link up and share our Friday favorites as we jump into the weekend! I can’t believe I get to join in on the 100th installment of ‘Friday Favorites’ on Heather’s blog.
One of the hardest parts of recovery is getting in enough calories. I don’t really have a problem with this anymore, but when my body needed those ‘rebuilding calories’ it was sometimes tough to really get outside of the salad and ‘zero calorie’ water mindset and branch out to more well-rounded, filling meals, snacks, and desserts.
I found that I had to be intentional about discovering and finding high calorie foods that were both nutritious and satisfying.
Today, I just want to share a few of those ‘high-calorie’ foods that I really like and continue to love for fueling my body for my daily work for the Lord! These are definitely my top 6 favorites, and I would love if you share some of yours in the comments.
1. Nuts. I am officially nuts about nuts. 😀 Nuts aren’t the kind of food that you ‘fill up’ on quickly without getting adequate calories. It’s easy to eat 1/2 a gallon of watermelon and ‘feel full’, but the ‘full feeling’ only comes from the amount of water in my stomach, not the calories satiating my hunger. I find a few handfuls of trail mix to be incredibly satisfying, filling, and I guess I would consider them a well rounded snack, especially in terms of fat and some protein.
2. Nut Butter (I guess this is kind of similar to the above food, but I use nut butter as an addition to so many foods such as pancakes, waffles, cottage cheese, yogurt, cereal, bread, and of course… icecream.)
Yes, this is one of my favorite ways to have peanut butter!
3. Okay, I know this wouldn’t be considered the world’s healthiest foods, but it’s one of my favorites. And that is…. DRUMROLL please… ICECREAM! I’m not really picky about a brand, but I do like Breyer’s because you can often get them on sale + they taste really good. I also have a few other favorites which are:
1. Blue Bell
3. Haagen Daaz
4. I also like the normal Safeway brand too… :o)
4. Cottage Cheese. – Cottage cheese. Wow, before I came into the blogging/recovery community, I thought that you only put cottage cheese in lasagna filling and spaghetti pie. I used to hate cheese of any kind, and cottage cheese was among that list of ‘hated cheeses.’ Thankfully, my tastebuds have developed into more ‘grown-up’ tastebuds, and I think a bowl of cottage cheese with toppings is one of the best breakfasts/snacks that’s out there.
5. Granola. I like cereal, but granola is pretty much one of my faves. If you give me a bag, you may not get it back full. It’s good in milk, on yogurt, or mixed in with your bowl of overnight or hot oats.
6. Burgers and Fries. – Burgers are definitely one of my most favorite ‘filling’ meals. You put a burger on a bun, add lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and toppings, and I’m well satisfied when I’m finished. Thankful God made beef for us to enjoy! 🙂 If you’re a vegetarian, there are definitely some yummy black bean burger recipes out there, veggie burgers, or even tofu burgers that pack just as much ‘satiety’ as a regular beef burger.
What are some of your favorite ‘high calorie’ foods whether you’re in recovery or not? Do you like nuts?
Do you like burgers? What are some of your favorite burger combos?