This is the 2nd of my ‘high calorie breakfast round-ups’ because I’m 100% on the bandwagon for encouraging those in recovery not to fear a big bowl of breakfast. If you want to find the other round-up, it’s right here.
FIRST of all, I have a huge respect for the fellow bloggers that I follow because NONE of these gals are afraid of breakfast. Literally, their big breakfasts inspire me not to fear big breakfasts but to EMBRACE them.
I had to go to them first and get a bevy of high calorie breakfasts that you can munch on out of a bowl before I share my own tips. It’s such a privilege to make sure that you are jump-starting that tank for the day, so that you can take good care of the body God gave you.
There is a lot of oatmeal here, which I love, but it’s not just oatmeal. There are smoothies too that will make you think you are going to eat a milkshake for breakfast which is pretty cool.
Without further delay, here are the recipes from my super giving and kind blog friends.
1. Strawberry Blueberry Overnight Oats from Natalie – Is anybody hungry for overnight oats now?
2. Baked Chocolate Oatmeal for ONE – Southern In Law – Kristy KNOWS how to do the baked oatmeal.
3. Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal – Have your banana bread and your oatmeal too!
4. Breakfast for the Laziest People I Know – Megan gives you no excuse for not eating breakfast. Doesn’t that bowl look delish?
5. Chocolate Avocado Smoothie – All the yummy fats in one smoothie!
6. Breakfast Oats and Berries – The toppings for oatmeal are endless. Top it with so many nuts, and you’ve done a good job on adding in extra calories.
7. Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal – I think I would just like Kristy to start a baked oatmeal restaurant… or cafe.
8. Chocolate Vegan Protein Cookie Dough – So I think it is totally legit to eat cookie dough for breakfast, and don’t you love Ellie’s pools of peanut butter?
9. Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Baked Oatmeal Bowl – Emilie always hits it out of the park with her beautiful, vegan recipes. I’ve tried this one, and it is good!
10. Vegan Pizza Snack Bars – If you LOVE something savoury for breakfast and easy, try these bars from Kaila!
God made your bodies to need fuel, and the morning time is when my tank is empty.
Don’t run on empty. It’s miserable. God provides our daily bread, and it is OKAY and WONDERFUL to enjoy His goodness in the morning, noon, and night.
You need to be fed spiritually, physically, emotionally, and a big breakfast is one of the best ways to start the day.
That’s why I’m trying to build bigger breakfasts, because filling the tank is something that I discovered was essential to recovery.
So, if you don’t have time to try any of the above recipes that look far better than mine in a bowl, you can build a yogurt bowl. There are a few key ingredients that will make your yogurt bowl higher calorie, (not an expert here). I don’t say this as a dietitian or a nutritionist, but these bowls have been a wonderful way for me to get in fat, carbs, and proteins in the morning without restriction. Building a simple yogurt bowl is really easy, and I want to give you a rundown of how I do it.
1) Start with FULL fat yogurt. Brown Cow Cream Top is amazing!
2) Add peanut butter or any other nut butter. Be generous with the serving. I have a scoop of Bliss Saigon Cinnamon Peanut Butter on it.
3) Add a whole piece of fruit (an apple, a banana, or multiple pieces of fruit.). . .
4.) Add protein powder. Protein powder is a great way of getting extra nutrients + extra calories + extra taste. I topped this with Philosophie Cacao Magic Superfoods Plant Protein Powder. THANK you Philosophie. The flavor is not sweet, but really rich, and it works well with sweet fruit and sweet nut butter.
5) Last but not least, top it with granola. One of my ‘berry’ favorite brands is ‘My Favorite Indulgence.’ She has 4 or 5 simple flavors that are FULL of flavor and really crunchy and chunky.
Let me know if you have any delicious granola recommendations. I’m always open to more! 🙂
Ok, so are you afraid of high-calorie breakfasts like I am, sometimes?
How are you overcoming that fear?
Do you like high-calorie breakfasts?