Disclaimer: I received the muscle butter in this post from You Fresh Naturals for developing a recipe. However, I 100% love this product, and I would highly recommend it from my own opinion.
I’m feeling old because
today Sunday is my 23rd birthday. Ok, I’m not that old, but as one preacher said in a sermon I heard a few months ago, ‘When we’re born we are born to die.’ I’m not feeling morbid, but I am reminded of just how brief life is here on this earth.
That was one of the greatest reminders for my recovery. I didn’t want to waste time focusing on things that didn’t matter, including having a perfect six pack pair of abs or always eating ‘healthy’ by popular definition.
I’ve just got to keep my life motto in my mind as I walk this short pilgrimage through life. Philippians 1:21, ‘For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.’
Well, all that to say, today is my birthday. It’s not a day that’s just my day though. It’s a day to think back on all the amazing journeys that God has taken me through in the past 23 years.
I know, I don’t look like I’m 23, but I am. 🙂 I would put a picture of my driver’s license on here, but that probably wouldn’t be smart, so you’ll just have to take what I”m saying in faith. 🙂
I thought, ‘What could I do for the blog readers that would be birthday themed…?’
And providentially, You Fresh Naturals sent me a jar of their Birthday Cake Muscle Butter to develop some recipes, and I decided to attempt some birthday cake cookies…
The simplicity of sprinkles…. Who doesn’t love sprinkles?
What is the perk of these cookies? Well, I’m no nutritionist, but if you struggle to eat protein like me, because God made our muscles to need that protein so our bodies don’t fall apart, you need to find creative ways to incorporate it into your diet.
What better way than to eat your protein and your carbs and your sweets all in one little package?
A serving of the muscle butter/muscle frosting from You Fresh Naturals has around 10 grams of protein in it. That’s quite a bit for a ‘nut butter,’ so I’m a fan especially.
I’m not a huge meat gal, so I like doing things like adding protein powder and muscle butter to my diet in order to get in all the protein I need everyday.
Amazingly, God put protein in a LOT of different foods, and meat is definitely not the only food with protein.
Well, how did the cookies turn out, you wonder? They were SO GOOD. You have different kinds of cookies, and I think different cookies work well for different occasions.
Doughy Cookies = Delicious when you want something filling, satisfying and rich.
Crispy Cookies = Perfect for ice cream sandwiches, ‘crunching’ on, or crumbling over ice cream.
Soft/Sturdy Cookies = These cookies fall into this category. They were:
not really rich, but sweet
As you see, they made amazing ice cream sandwiches. The ice cream didn’t overwhelm the cookie, and the cookie didn’t overwhelm the ice cream.
This would be one of my very favorite flavors of ‘You Fresh Naturals.’ It’s like scooping chocolate chip cookie dough out of a jar. 🙂
One thought as I write about all these different nut butters is the fact that in America, we are so blessed and often we don’t even realize it.
We have been blessed to be given a country that was founded by men who feared God, who loved freedom, and loved to see people grow and develop and invent and take dominion of the land.
All these unique businesses in America are to me, an evidence of that great blessing. Isn’t it just incredible? Will you help me not to be ungrateful for any of the blessings we have here?
You know what one perk of recovery is? My muscles are actually there, and I can use them. I’m not as low on energy as I used to be, and by God’s grace, He has used this restoration of mind, body, and soul so that I can serve Him and work for His kingdom with more joy and vitality.
Psalm 107:1-2, ‘O give thanks unto the Lord, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;’
Now for that recipe… What I loved about this recipe is that it was simple, and I hope that you have all the ingredients on hand to make this for some yummy ice cream sandwiches tonight with the family.
- 1/2 HEAPING cup coconut flour
- 1/2 c. You Fresh Naturals Birthday Cake Muscle Butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c. organic sugar (you can use coconut sugar if you want to!)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup protein powder (vanilla)
- 2 tbsp. chocolate peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- Preheat your oven to... 350 degrees farenheit. I love that temperature. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, so you don't have to wash the cookie sheet (shortcut), and get to mixing the dough. Whisk together the 'Birthday Cake Muscle Butter', peanut butter, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Add in coconut flour and protein powder. Scoop the batter onto the cookie sheet with a spoon. It should make about 10-15 cookies. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes depending on whether you like doughier or crispier cookies. Pull out. Let cool, and eat. 🙂
(Well… That’s fro-yo, but you get the idea, right? 🙂
What kinds of ice cream are you in the mood for today?
1) If you’re thinking that something fruity or fresh sounds good you could try Meghan’s ‘Nice Cream’ or Katja’s Blueberry Nice Cream, but if you’re out of bananas, Julie’s 2 Ingredient Mango Sorbet might do the trick.
3) However, sometimes a simple vanilla bean ice cream works well if you’re in a pinch, so tap in to Stacie’s Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
4) Then there are the exotic flavors.. Have you ever tried green tea ice cream?
Well Rebecca has you covered with her delicious looking ‘Coconut Matcha Ice Cream‘ or you could try Farrah’s Matcha Ice Cream. And while you’re at it, if you like tea, but it’s too hot for tea, put it into Leah’s Early Grey Blueberry Icecream or her Coconut Chai Ice Cream.
5) AND!!! If you’re like me, and you are ALWAYS someone who could go for something with the word ‘chocolate’ or ‘peanut butter’ you can choose between Ellen’s Chocolate Berry Icecream Sandwiches, Rachel and Bethany’s Chocolate Pretzel Ice Cream (Try it with peanut butter filled pretzels!), or Ellie’s (my favorite title) Double Peanut Butter Ice Cream.
There you have it, and I sincerely hope that there is a recipe in there that you can find to love and bless your family with tonight along with some cookies…. 😉
Oh, and a happy package arrived at our house on Thursday! This would be the huge order I made of Perfect Bars last week when they were having their epic sale. Hands down, Perfect Bars are my favorite bars among the 5 or 6 varieties I’ve tried, because like one of my friends said, ‘They’re like eating a stick of nut butter.’
So I’m thanking the Lord God for 23 years, and I’m praying for as many as He has for me here to serve Him and share His incredible love and blessings with others. 🙂
Linking up with Katie for a MARVELOUS Independence Day Celebration! Happy July 4th everyone!
How do you celebrate birthdays?
Do you like having protein in your cookies?
What kind of cookies do you like (doughy, crispy, soft, in between)?
Have you tried muscle butter or muscle frosting? Do you have a favorite brand?